Friday, December 9, 2011

Reviews & Updates

Now that I've failed yet another French exam, I thought it was time for a new blog.

I've been following the shit out of Kate Gabrielle recently. She's this crafty, stylish artist whom I dearly love. She has attempted and succeeded at blogging daily. She's my inspiration. You can (and should) check here out.


My blogging has been even less than sporadic lately. So, my new goal is to blog at least twice a week. I will do at least one album review (possibly something new or maybe something old that I've stumbled across while bin digging) and then some sort of play list. It may simply be a "this is what I'm listening to this week while driving/studying/trying not to kill myself" or it may have a more in-depth theme. BUT...there will at least be a theme.

This week I already have a couple (semi-)new album reviews written, so I'll hand one over now and save the rest for next week.

Laura Marling-A Creature I Don’t Know

A year ago, I’m not sure this album would received as much attention from the general public (or even from me) as it has recently. ACIDK is a bit like a flashback to the Folk music from the 60s and 70s, but has been slightly modified and modernized. While her London friends have gotten more synth-y (I’m lookin’ at you, Noah & The Whale) or more rock (Mumford & Sons), Laura Marling as, instead, seemingly stripped down. She turned her back on modern pop music and looked to her heroes. The best example of such an aboutface is “All My Rage” with it’s Joni Mitchell-channeling soprano and swelling, well, rage.


Marling performing "All My Rage" on Jools Holland.

For further proof of her firm allegiances with folk music, you should see her in concert. A typical Marling gig consists of a few mid-set solo songs that features only her and the guitar and often ends with her cover of Neil Young’s “Dance Dance Dance.”


Marling playing "The Needled and The Damage Done" by Neil Young.

Laura Marling has been pressed almost continuously for answers as to whom might be “The Beast.” She’s keeping her lips sealed, though, and I appreciate that. I don’t think you need to know who an artist’s beasts are to appreciate the song, so long as you have a vague of idea who or what may be your own beast. For being all of 21 years old (Sweet Jesus, I feel so unaccomplished next to her), Laura Marling has a firm grasp on what folk, and music in general, should sound like. In her case, it sounds absolutely beautiful.


"Sophia"-The first single from ACIDK

No comments:

Post a Comment