Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Discography Whore

I get a lot of slack from S&P about my constant collection of complete discographies. I'm not exactly sure where this audiohoarding came from or when it started. Most people may have one or two artists where they own all or most of their albums. I, however, am on a near constant quest to own someone's discography. That "someone" changes regularly (often before I've finished the last artist's collection) and there are often multiple someones on my list at the same time. Sometimes it's easy, too. Sarah Jarosz, for instance, has two albums that are both readily available. Then there is Mumford & Sons, whom I was a fan of before they even had an album to add to my collection. There is no hunting in their case-only gathering. Of course, there are also bands like U2, whose first album came out four years before I was born and whom I only became a fan of in the last couple years. I feel like I am forever buying another damn U2 album. No regrets, though. I WILL own their discography. ...Eventually.

The reason I bring this up is simple-I just finished another discography. Sitting in my car is the last album I needed to complete my Our Lady Peace collection. Absolutely the first alternative band I ever fell in love with, Our Lady Peace has been this strange off-and-on obsession of mine since I was thirteen. ("Automatic Flowers" from their 1997 "Clumsy" is still one of my most favorite songs) Last night, venti iced chai latte in hand, I stumbled across their debut album, "Naveed," at Half Price Bookstore (why the HELL would anyone get rid of that?!). I yelped-warranting a questioning look from the older gentlemen who was hunting beside me. Yet another discography to be checked off my list.

It may sound like my fiendish collecting isn't at all selective, but you're absolutely wrong. I may have quite a few discographies, but those bands have all been worthy of my love in one way or another. For every band whose discography I own, there are a dozen more I still want, a hundred more I have no intention of buying, and a thousand more I've never even heard. The bands and artists I collect may be varied, but they're the sounds I like, the voices I want to surround myself with for the rest of my life, and the people I will go to great lengths to see live. (Just don't disappoint me, or I'll sell the whole shootin' match off to Half Price.) What's that line? Oh, yeah... "I'm not a player, I just crush a lot." Thanks, Big Punisher.

Here is some music from a few of my favorite discographies...

Automatic Flowers-Our Lady Peace
Voice. Lyrics. Late '90s-esque reverb. Awesomeness.


Penny & Me-Hanson
Don't judge me. I bet you own a Justin Timberlake CD.


Born Lonesome-Cadillac Sky
Banjo. Always the banjo.


One from a band I'm still working on completing. Because it's my blog. And I can do what I want.
Sunday Bloody Sunday-U2
This is the song that made me fall in love with U2.

No comments:

Post a Comment